Like Phoenix Rising … or New Version of SQLCLRProject

Hi everyone, it’s been a while 🙂 (shame one me!)!!

As some of you may know, back in the days I developed a tool for deploying .NET assemblies to SQL Server 2005 (or, as it was called then, Yukon). Initially it was just a tool used from the command line. As time went by, it evolved into a project named SQLCLRProject, consisting of the command line tool (YukonDeploy), a stand-alone front-end GUI, DeployProperties, and an add-in (with project and item-templates) for Visual Studio, DeployAddIn.

The latest release of SQLCLRProject was back in February 2006 (wow, that was a long time ago 😦 ) , and up until a month or so, nothing much was done to it. I used it whenever I did any SQLCLR work and I know other developers were using it as well. Anyway, a while back I started receiving emails from people wondering if I could fix some “undocumented features” and/or implement some new features.

So, I decided to resurrect the project and the last weeks I have been working on fixing the issues and adding some more features. I’m fairly happy with it as it is right now, and today I release version 2.5. The download page for it is here.

So what has been done:

  • The project has now it’s own web-pages, so I have a place to point people to when explaining what SQLCLRProject is.
  • The Visual Studio add-in (and templates) supports both VS 2005 as well as VS 2008
  • The VS add-in (as well as the other tools) supports both SQL Server 2005 as well as SQL Server 2008 (Katmai).
  • The previous version of the tool allowed you to re-deploy a UDT without manually dropping tables with columns based on the UDT. The tool either dropped the whole table or just the column (based on a configurable setting), before re-deploying. In this version the choice is as before to either to drop the whole table or the column. However if choosing to drop the column:
    • first the table is altered and a new column is added (varchar(max) or varbinary(max) – also based on a configurable setting),
    • then the data from the original column is copied over to the new column
    • finally the original column is dropped.
  • In T-SQL we have the notion of procedure parameters with default values. In .NET we don’t have anything similar (well, VB.NET has optional parameters, but that is a compiler hack). The tool now allows you to, by using an attribute, defining parameters in your .NET code that will be created as T-SQL object with default values.
  • Fixed a bug where the add-in for VS could not handle project with white spaces in the path.

So, if you are interested, go to here to read more about SQLCLRProject and if you want to download; the download page is here.

Comments etc are always welcome, post a comment here (or on the main page) or drop me an email.

Niels

Advertisements

3 Responses to “Like Phoenix Rising … or New Version of SQLCLRProject”

  1. New Home for SQLCLRProject « managed data Says:

    […] Home for SQLCLRProject By nielsb About a year ago, I wrote how I were about to re-surrect the SQLCLRProject tool, and in that process I created some new pages […]

  2. New Home for SQLCLRProject | managed data Says:

    […] a year ago, I wrote how I were about to re-surrect the SQLCLRProject tool, and in that process I created some new pages […]

  3. cheap carpet cleaning tampa Says:

    Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long cpmment buut after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to
    say fantastic blog!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: