Archive for the ‘.NET’ Category

How-To Article about Calling a WCF Service from SQLCLR

February 8, 2009

I sometimes (not as much as I would like) hang out at some of the user forums where people talk about SQL Server generally and the SQLCLR specifically. Ever so often the question is being asked how to call into a WCF service from SQLCLR (.NET code running inside SQL Server).

The other day I became tired of giving exactly (or thereabout) the same answer for the n:th time, so I decided to croft up some code and write a mini How-To about how to call into a WCF service from SQLCLR. So without any further ado, the How-To article can be found here. I do not have anywhere to host the code yet (my usual hosting place disappeared – don’t ask), so until I decide where to host you can drop me an email if you want to see the code.

Update: I have now created a Resource Page on MSDN’s code gallery, where the sample code for the article can be found. So if you want to get the code, go to here.

Advertisements

New Home for SQLCLRProject

February 7, 2009

About a year ago, I wrote how I were about to re-surrect the SQLCLRProject tool, and in that process I created some new pages for it here at my WordPress blog.

This tool has had some interest, and it seems that quite a few of you are interested in helping out to take it forward. So due to that, and the fact that there are issues where I hosted it for download, I have today created a CodePlex project for it. You can find its new homepage here.

At the moment there are no source code there, just the binaries. I am in the process ofcleaning up the source code, and as soon that is done – I will upload it there as well.

So, go over there and have fun!!

Like Phoenix Rising … or New Version of SQLCLRProject

January 14, 2008

Hi everyone, it’s been a while 🙂 (shame one me!)!!

As some of you may know, back in the days I developed a tool for deploying .NET assemblies to SQL Server 2005 (or, as it was called then, Yukon). Initially it was just a tool used from the command line. As time went by, it evolved into a project named SQLCLRProject, consisting of the command line tool (YukonDeploy), a stand-alone front-end GUI, DeployProperties, and an add-in (with project and item-templates) for Visual Studio, DeployAddIn.

The latest release of SQLCLRProject was back in February 2006 (wow, that was a long time ago 😦 ) , and up until a month or so, nothing much was done to it. I used it whenever I did any SQLCLR work and I know other developers were using it as well. Anyway, a while back I started receiving emails from people wondering if I could fix some “undocumented features” and/or implement some new features.

So, I decided to resurrect the project and the last weeks I have been working on fixing the issues and adding some more features. I’m fairly happy with it as it is right now, and today I release version 2.5. The download page for it is here.

So what has been done:

  • The project has now it’s own web-pages, so I have a place to point people to when explaining what SQLCLRProject is.
  • The Visual Studio add-in (and templates) supports both VS 2005 as well as VS 2008
  • The VS add-in (as well as the other tools) supports both SQL Server 2005 as well as SQL Server 2008 (Katmai).
  • The previous version of the tool allowed you to re-deploy a UDT without manually dropping tables with columns based on the UDT. The tool either dropped the whole table or just the column (based on a configurable setting), before re-deploying. In this version the choice is as before to either to drop the whole table or the column. However if choosing to drop the column:
    • first the table is altered and a new column is added (varchar(max) or varbinary(max) – also based on a configurable setting),
    • then the data from the original column is copied over to the new column
    • finally the original column is dropped.
  • In T-SQL we have the notion of procedure parameters with default values. In .NET we don’t have anything similar (well, VB.NET has optional parameters, but that is a compiler hack). The tool now allows you to, by using an attribute, defining parameters in your .NET code that will be created as T-SQL object with default values.
  • Fixed a bug where the add-in for VS could not handle project with white spaces in the path.

So, if you are interested, go to here to read more about SQLCLRProject and if you want to download; the download page is here.

Comments etc are always welcome, post a comment here (or on the main page) or drop me an email.

Niels